SSS Mexican Beach, Bodies & Bikinis Sisterhood Retreat
March 4th - March 10th, 2018
What is the PURPOSE of the Mexican Beach, Bodies & Bikinis Retreat?
It's simple. The reason I am running my FIRST EVER Beach Bodies and Bikinis Retreat is because it is time to redefine what a beach-body looks like. The culture of body shaming and body hate has gotten so ugly and so massive and so global, it is silencing women around the world. Which if you ask me, means it's an epidemic.
During SSS, I work hard to create a space and place for women to unequivocally love and accept and understand their bodies. No matter the shape. No matter the size.
And now, I'm taking that up a notch. I'm taking it to THE BEACH.
When I took my first ever tip to Mexico last year, I experienced something I had NEVER experienced before. For the first time in my life, I was ashamed of my bathing suit, and NOT my body.
Although I've done a lot of work around body love and body acceptance over the years, I had never gone to a beach in the US, whether it be pond, lake, river or sea, and felt completely FREE in my body. There has always been a moment - some short, some long - of vulnerability, fear, inadequacy and shame. Sometimes I could move past the shame quickly, and sometimes I couldn't. And it would envelope me.
When I went to the beaches in Mexico, I saw ALL THE BODIES on the beach. I saw big boobies and small boobies, big butts and small butts, big bellies and small bellies. And I couldn't believe how FREE everybody looked, and how freely they moved in their bodies. They were clearly not hiding or covering up. They were LIVING.
I felt embarrassed for hiding my body behind my skirt and tankini. And I realized that by hiding my body, I was body shaming other women. So I knotted up my tankini top, and I posed like a super model on the damn beach!
This Mexican Beach, Bodies & Bikinis Retreat has been designed to help you EMBRACE your beach body, as it is. And we're doing it in Mexico because I know it is easier to do when you are actually seeing ALL THE BODIES at the beach.
During one of my last beach vacations in Maine, I was the only gal on the beach - in a bathing suit - with cellulite on her thighs. Where in hell were all the other women?? Covered up. Sitting in their beach chairs, that's where. It's no wonder I was paralyzed by shame.
Since my Mexican vacation, I have come back to the US with more confidence, courage and commitment to show up at the beach (or the river, lake or pond), IN MY BODY. I'm more committed to breaking down those ridiculous how-to-have-a-beach-body stereotypes, and start normalizing ALL THE BODIES. Somebody's gotta lead the revolution. Might as well be us.
In Mexico we will...
- Eat delicious food. Practice gentle yoga. And let go of the collective body-hate we hold inside ourselves.
- Swim with the sea turtles. Do cannonballs into the pool. And dive into series of really POWERFUL body-love exercises to move us further along the unshaming process.
- Laugh until we almost pee our pants. Cry. And become true how-to-have-beach-body ambassadors.
What's included in the Mexican Beach, Bodies & Bikinis Retreat?
- 6 nights stay at a gorgeous private Mayan beachside home in Akumal, Mexico, located a short walk away from both Akumal Bay beach and Half Moon Bay beach
- Private swimming pool, volleyball court, and ocean front palapa with hammocks
- All breakfasts, served continental style
- 3 dinners + 2 lunches, prepared and served by our own house chef - including a celebratory WELCOME MEAL on the day of your arrival
- A 45 minute massage, right on retreat property, looking out over the Caribbean Ocean
- A 1 hour gentle yoga class
- Rental equipment for a morning snorkel with the sea turtles (which is what Akumal Bay is KNOWN for!)
- Transportation to/from Playa del Carmen, where we will stroll, shop and dine along the famous Avenida Quinta (5th Avenue) - brimming with the most colorful, Frida-inspired trinkets and treasures your heart could ever desire
- Admission and transportation to/from Cenote Azul, one of the Yucatan's best fresh-water sinkholes
- Transportation to/from the Cancun airport to our beach house in Akumal
- Your own 20 minute photoshoot (in your bathing suit perhaps?) with lifestyle photographer, Lynne Bechard (SSS3)
- Plus a host of other treats and surprises. (I don't want to tell you EVERYthing!)
What's the Investment?
There are 5 sleeping options at our beach house property, and you get to choose which one you want! First come, first served!
RETREAT IS SOLD OUT!!
Option 1 - a fully air-conditioned master suite, complete with queen sized bed, and it's own private ocean view terrace and master bath. Cost $2000 (This room is BOOKED!)
Options 2 + 3 - a fully air-conditioned shared bedroom, located in the adjacent casita, with two double-sized beds. Cost $1700 / $1700 (This room is BOOKED!)
Options 4 + 5 - a fully air-conditioned shared bedroom, located in the adjacent casita, with one twin bed, and one double bed. Cost $1600 / $1700 respectively. (This room is BOOKED!)
Questions & Answers
Q. How do I get to Akumal?
A. You should plan to fly into Cancun (CUN), Mexico, on March 4th, 2018. Either me or Elisa (SSS3) will meet you at the airport, ready to travel with you back to our casa in Akumal. Airfare is not included in the price of retreat. We'll also make sure you get back to Cancun on March 10th in time for your flight, so there is no need for you to worry about airport transportation.
Q. Do I have to pay for retreat all at once?
A. No, a non-refundable $500 deposit is required to hold your spot. You can do that HERE. Cost of retreat ranges from $1600 - $2000, depending on the room you choose. That payment can be paid in one lump sum, or split between two additional payments, with the final payment being due January 1st, 2018.
Q. What's your cancellation policy?
A. Well I hope you never need it, but if you do... if you cancel before January 1st, you will receive a full refund, minus the $500 deposit. If you cancel AFTER January 1st, you will not be eligible for a refund.
I'd recommend looking into travelers insurance to cover you in case of emergency. Most plans will cover trip cancellation due to emergency, sickness or inclement weather. (When I travel internationally, I always get trip insurance!) Most travel insurance companies offer free quotes online. Here are links to just a few of the websites that you may want to check for comparing the cost of coverage and policies offered: Squaremouth, Travel Guard, and Allianz. Please read the fine print or speak to a customer service representative to ensure you get the most coverage for your buck.
Q. What should I pack?
A. Besides your body and your bikini? Well, you'll OF COURSE want some wispy clothes to protect you from the sun while lounging poolside, and you'll want plenty of fancy clothes so we can dine together in high style. We'll tuck a packing list inside your registration/welcome packet, so keep your eyes open for that.
Q. How many people will be attending this retreat?
A. There will be no more than 8 of us.