I LOVE METALLICS. I've been wearing gold and silver and copper and bronze a lot lately, because there is something about their shimmery shine that connects me to my inner rockstar, more than any other thing I own (except for maybe my denim vest... that's pretty rockstar too!).
I've heard whisper that glitter, sequins and shiny gold are to be saved for holiday parties and special occasions, and I'm here to say that's just NOT TRUE.
Since I've been wearing them so much lately, I figured it was high time I educate you on a few metallic HOW'S, WHY'S and MUST HAVE'S!!
Let's get started...
1. The EASIEST way to bring metallics into your wardrobe, is through accessories. BIG, SHINY earrings and a fabulous "wonder-woman" cuff add instant SHAZAM to your basic cotton t-shirt and jeans combo.
Yea, I look fine in the no-accessories photos, but the EARRINGS and CUFF add an extra element of PIZAZ + SHAZAM to these casual, everyday outfits.
2. I'm also a big fan of metallic SHIRTS + SKIRTS! Sure, they are fancy, but if you want to wear your shimmer on a Tuesday, then pair your shimmer with something casual, like denim.
Casual, right? But shimmer without a Power Accessory hardly seems right, so I went ahead and added silver earrings and a cuff for some extra SHAZAM!!
WAYYYY better, wouldn't you agree?!
You can do the opposite, too! Next, I've paired a shimmery skirt with a denim/chambray shirt for yet another everyday casual-chic look. The basics have cute-potential, but they are TOTALLY boring as-is! In fact, when I was going through these pics to find the keepers, I kept deleting the no-accessory pics from my phone because I didn't like ANY of them. It took me a minute to realize my disdain for the pics was because I wasn't wearing accessories!! I went into the trash, grabbed one to illustrate the point, and now I have a side-by-side for you here. WHAT. A. DIFFERENCE!
Because I love the accessories SOO much, I'm going to show you a close up. I mean, imagine the chambray without the accessories. FORGET ABOUT IT. But the outfit is still totally everyday-wearable, because chambray is so grounding and non-fancy.
3. Don't worry about mixing your metallics, because nowadays, you can wear ALL THE COLORS together! Here, I took a little bit of everything, and I wore it all together. Pretty cool, right?!
You might be thinking... Stasia, do you REALLY wear this stuff for your everyday, or is it just something you do for your newsletter and blog?
Well, here I am at Ikea a few weeks ago, in sequins, glitter and gold. On a Thursday. With my kids! I paired all that shimmer with denim and a casual handbag, and voila - comfortable, casual AND chic!!
Let's review, to make sure you understand.
1. ACCESSORIZE! I'm a HUGE believer in Power Accessories, so I'd suggest you integrate some earring/necklace/cuff shimmer into your wardrobe, pronto!
2. Pair something shiny and sparkly with denim to balance it out, and make it everyday-casual.
3. Don't worry about matching your metallics, because ANYTHING goes!
Have some fun, girls! And let me know how YOU'RE bringing the SHAZAM into your closest.
PS. I'm wearing the size medium earrings, in case you're wondering.
PPS. Kilee sent me two pairs of earrings and a cuff to expand my Nickel & Suede collection, because she KNOWS I'll wear them ALL THE TIME! I do not, however, receive any financial kick-back from the purchases you make. This is a gift to you, because I want to see you SHINE BRIGHT!
PPPS. My silver button-down shirt is from J.Crew (thrifted, $3) and my skirt is from Banana Republic (thrifted, $2) - but I just looked, and you can find BOTH second-hand on Tradesy, Thred-Up and Ebay!
ONE LAST THING! If you do get a pair, tell me! I want to know who my style sisters are!! xo