Two weeks ago I did the unthinkable! I let my 8 year old daughter choose my ENTIRE outfit without a peep of input from me. No moaning. No groaning. No suggesting this over that. And the results were fantastic! Exhibit 1:
In fact, we had so much fun together (and I LOVED the outfit) we decided to do it the following week!
And this time, we decided to make it a THING! By that I mean, we've turned it into a weekly series on Facebook and Instagram, where every Monday I'll post a pic of the outfit Raisa selected for me, and we'll use the hashtag #stylemeraisa.
AND, because I don't want to hog all the fun (that wouldn't be lady like of me), I'm opening up the THRILL to you, my Thrift Me Pretty gaggle o'gals!
Consider it a challenge. :)
EVERY MONDAY, I want you to LET GO of your what-am-I-gonna-wear reigns and let your child style you, from head to toe!! I'll get into all the reasons WHY I think it's a damn good idea, but first, I want to make sure that when you participate, you SHOUT IT TO THE CROWD. By that I mean, post a pic of you in your fancy-pants outfit to either Facebook or Instagram (or both!), and use the hashtag #styledbymychild. Be sure to tag me (@thriftmepretty on Facebook/@stasiasavasuk on Instagram) and let's do this together!!
Hesitating? Let me convince you WHY it's such a good idea!
My TOP 10 Reasons to be #styledbymychild
1. Quality Time with Your Kids - in the hurry and flurry of life, it's incredibly important to set aside non-negotiable special mama/child time. Raisa and I look forward to this time together each week, and it's become something we talk about and look forward to all week long. Memories in the making, people!
2. Kid Confidence - imagine the pride your child will feel when you say to them, "Hey babe, I want YOU to choose my outfit tomorrow, because I trust you'll choose something FABULOUS for me!" I know my daughter takes her task VERY seriously, and the pride she feels when she presents her outfit to me is out of this world. (See Exhibit B for proof of her pride!) And when I put it on... forgetaboutit. She LOVES it!!
3. Conversation Starter - you'll undoubtedly receive a few sideways glances when you're walking around town with your kid-designed outfit, which provides you with a GREAT opportunity to engage in friendly, fun conversation with friends AND strangers! I've loved the conversations I've had with folks since starting this project with Raisa, so I speak from experience!
4. Be Wildly Courageous - one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself (and your little) is the gift of courage. WILD, FREE, WHOLE-HEARTED COURAGE. Being courageous takes practice, and this is a great opportunity to practice being wildly courageous!
5. Inspire Others - courage is something we need to be reminded to practice on a daily basis. Just think... you could be THAT PERSON that inspires someone else to live with wild abandon and do something wildly courageous!
6. Make New Friends - if you join the weekly hashtag, #styledbymychild, you'll meet other mamas who, like you, share similar interests in style and sustainability. I'm incredibly proud to say that the women who follow Thrift Me Pretty are a stewardly group of fashionistas, and getting to know each other will be a HUGE boon to your social life! Just last week I met a gal in real life that I met through a hashtag on Instagram, and we were BFF's within seconds of meeting!
7.Closet Curation - if your closet isn't already curated (as in, culled down to only what you truly love) then this is the perfect exercise to get you to do it. When your little pulls out those jeans you hate because they make your butt look big, or that dress you've been saving for a million years because you paid a lot for it (even though you've hated it since the day you brought it home) - you'll wish it were never in your closet. And after wearing it around all day, I'll bet your desire to GET RID OF IT, FOR ONCE AND FOR ALL will hit a crescendo of importance!
8. Spark Creativity - just when you think you couldn't possibly create something new and fun out of what you already own, your kid will put together a doozy that you would have NEVER thought of. I'm not saying it's something you'd choose for yourself, but it just goes to show that there is ALWAYS another way to wear something by simply changing up the details. Put on a different necklace, change your blouse, wear blue tights instead of black! Get creative with your everyday outfit!
9. Because it's FUN! - plain and simple - it's fun!
10. Help me Grow my Biz - I'm not gonna lie, your participation in my weekly #styledbymychild outfit challenge is a GREAT way for me to reach new people and spread the Thrift Me Pretty vibe! You're my people, and your pals are probably ALSO my people, so helping me extend my reach to more sustainable stylistas is a great boon to me and my growing business! So thank you. xo
Tomorrow is the big day, and I do hope to see your pic pop up in my Facebook and Instagram feed!! I'm so excited for tomorrow, I can hardly stand it!
Go on, let your hair down and BE WILDY COURAGEOUS!! xo Stasia
PS. If you don't have any children at home, grab a neighbor kid and let them help you mix things up!! Just another way to build community in your own neighborhood!